I used to think it was impossible to peel butternut squash, or any other winter hard squash. That was because I was trying to use a knife. Now, I use a y-shaped vegetable peeler and it is a breeze – even my kids can do it. While I used to pass over any recipe with peeled butternut squash, now we heartily enjoy most any dish with butternut squash. (And did you know that Walmart now carries Earth Balance – yahoo!)
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large tart cooking apples cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (half a stick) Earth Balance
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup chopped pecans
1) Preheat oven to 350°F. Slice and peel squash and apples.
2) Put squash cubes in ungreased 7×11-inch baking dish. Place apples on top and then cranberries. Mix the flour, salt, sugar, and nutmeg and sprinkle on top. Add chopped pecans and dot with Earth Balance. Bake 50-60 minutes.