I have tried MANY different “meat loaf” recipes trying to find a recipe which had a great taste and texture. I found this and it is wonderful. Sometimes I bake this in a loaf pan, and sometimes in a 9 inch round pan. I like the looks of it when I cook it in a loaf pan, but it is often a little too moist to hold together well. However, the texture is better after it is frozen and defrosted so I make it in a loaf pan when I am planning on freezing most of it for later use.
- 1 C cooked brown rice
- 1 C whole wheat bread crumbs (Save your whole wheat bread crusts, toast or let dry and grind in blender to make healthy bread crumbs)
- 1 C finely chopped walnuts
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 pkg extra firm tofu
- ¼ C barbecue sauce
- 3 T soy sauce
- 2 tspns Dijon mustard
- ¼ tspn black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl combine the brown rice, bread crumbs, walnuts, celery, carrots and onions.
- Puree the tofu, barbecue sauce, soy sauce, mustard and pepper in a food
- processor or blender until very smooth.
- Add the tofu mixture to the brown rice mixture. Stir with a spoon until well
- blended and holds together.
- Transfer mixture to an oil-sprayed 8in baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 60 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.