My mom used to make my dad cabbage rolls on very special occasions.
When I make cabbage rolls, I normally double the recipe so that I can freeze the leftovers. Then we don’t have to wait for another special occasion to indulge in this delicious entrée.
- 12 slightly steamed cabbage leaves
- 1 cup Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP) rehydrated with 1 cup boiling water and 1 T beef-style broth powder
- ½ cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 3 – 8 oz cans tomato sauce
- 2 T sugar
- Fresh ground pepper
- Combine rehydrated TVP, walnuts, rice, 1 – 8oz can tomato sauce and a twist or two of fresh ground pepper.
- Evenly divide the filling mixture between the 12 cabbage leaves.
- Roll up the cabbage leaves, tucking the loose ends under.
- Place the rolls in a 11x7x1½ inch baking pan.
- Combine sugar with remaining two cans of tomato sauce. Pour over the cabbage rolls.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.